Thursday, October 30, 2008

BtVS: 2.09 What's My Line Pt 1

Alisa says:
I dunno. On rewatching this episode, it was kinda forgettable enough that I forgot what happened in it when I sat down to write this commentary up. But actually the moment where Buffy and Angel are ice skating is unforgettable for me ... I just always forget it happens in this episode! Ahhh ... for me it is always about that moment - Buffy and Angel so desperately trying to pretend or find or make something about their relationship "normal". But really, there is nothing more surreal than a Vampire Slayer ice skating round an empty ice rink with her Vampire Boyfriend. My heart kinda breaks a little every time for them because it's so sweet and innocent and one of the only and first and last innocent moments that they get. Before it all turns horribly wrong and ... you know ... Buffyverse-esque!

Well .. that and the bug guy. Ew! What is it with the bug guy? Yuch!

Rachel says:
I agree the ice skating scene is excellent. It's so poignant that even Buffy's childhood pastimes aren't immune to her present calling.

This episode feels like the coming together of several threads - the insanity of Drusilla is really played up, as is the animosity between Cordelia and Xander.

One of the best moments has to be Buffy thinking that everyone is out to get her. Haven't we all felt like that at some point?

The dialogue in this and the following episode is some of the best of Buffy, and are the first episodes written by Marti Noxon.

"'I aspire to help my fellow man.' Check. As long as he's not smelly, dirty or something gross."

No comments: